Sunday 1 February 2009

A New Plot

This week I signed the contract on my second 5rod plot. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew, but I am really excited about the extra space so that I can have room for more crops. This new plot is at the other end of the site from my existing one and is situated at right angles to it, so that it gets the sun all day. It also seems to be less sheltered. It is slightly uphill and I know for a fact that there is no mares tail at that end of the site. However, a very brief dig today revealed plenty of bindweed root. At the moment about half the site has fruit trees on it, and there seems to be some rhubarb, and asparagus, I think. We shall see. It is quite overgrown, so it will be a challenge to bring it up the standard of our current plot. From the pictures below you can get an idea of the state of the plot.This is looking up the hill from the main path. Our plot is the one in the distance. It begins where you can see the shed on the left (that is not our shed but belongs to the plot next to ours). This is a more close up view, showing the state of the weeds - quite some digging to be done, me thinks!
These weird logs have been "planted" at the end of the site. They have holes drilled in them at intervals and some of them are filled with a wax plugs. I have no idea what they are for, and suggestions include some sort of insect haven, or a mushroom log - does anyone know? Please let me if know if you have any ideas. Otherwise, I'm afraid they will probably find their way onto the fire.And finally, a view from the end of the plot looking towards the path which is just the other side of the sheds that you can see in the distance.

My plan for the new plot is to use it for more permanent crops like artichokes and asparagus and more fruit - some currant bushes and perhaps a grape vine. I also thought it would be a good place to grow pumpkins, marrow and squash as they need so much room. I want to use Home Farm (existing plot) for most of the veg growing, not least because it is is better nick and I have an emotional attachment to it.

The allotment shop was open for business today following it's winter closure and I got my seed order. It feels as though spring is just around the corner. However, the weather is certainly doing its best to belie that! It was freezing there today. There was ice on the water tanks and at one point it began to snow. It was far too cold to do any work on the new plot (the wind was whistling straight up there) but back at Home Farm we did manage a little. I picked that last of the brussels sprouts and pulled up the plants. I then dug over the patch and the tame photographer collected some manure to mulch the bed with, to prepare it for potatoes later in the year. I then cut down the raspberry canes and the tame photographer collected yet more manure to mulch them. You can see the pruned raspberry canes on their way to the communal dump as I felt they would take too long to compost. Also, there is a lot of bindweed amongst them, including quite a lot of bindweed seed which I really do not need. Again, a very cursory dig revealed vast quantities of bindweed root. I really am going to have to make it my mission to curtail the stuff. I also dug up a parsnip. By this stage the cold was beginning to infiltrate every part of me, and some hours later I am still not completely warm.

An update on the state of Home Farm is as follows: the sprouting broccoli is almost ready to harvest, there are several healthy looking January King cabbages ready to harvest, as well as plenty of leeks and still a few parsnips. Above is one the beautiful January Kings. The onions are growing, but looking very chilly and the garlic looks fine (see below) and the spring onions are just about holding their own. The little spring cabbages are hanging on in there as well and I think there is some corn salad ready to be picked.

The broad beans have germinated and we have covered them with this shop bought netting. It looks a little poncey for the allotments, but it does the job, and in about half the time! Below is today's picture of Home Farm! Not bad for a freezing February day, if I say so myself. For Christmas I got two more gooseberry plants, but the weather has been so cold and wet I haven't been able to plant them, but maybe I shall get it done next weekend.

No comments: