Sunday 31 January 2010

End of January

I didn't get to the allotment last weekend - other pressing activities and rotten weather. Today, however, the rain held off for a short while, but when I got there, the frost was still heavy, making digging nigh on impossible, and when the sun came out the ground got soggier and soggier - so I didn't really do much. I picked brussels sprouts, and beautiful January King cabbage, some kale and parsley and two parsnips - not bad for a freezing winter day. I looked at the raspberry canes, but decided to deal with them next weekend!

I did get my onion sets - enough for a couple of rows of white onions and a couple of red onions and some shallots, as well as two bulbs of garlic. I also got the seed potatoes - Rocket for first earlies, Picasso for maincrop and Anya and Charlotte as salad potatoes. I didn't get many of each, but enough to enjoy next summer, hopefully. The are already chitting in eldest son's currently vacant room. All I need now is some some decent weather so I can get the plot ready for spring.

My next task is to get my seeds sorted and ordered. I have been very remiss about that this year.

No comments: